Satnta Barbara International Marathon 11/06/2010, 26.2 miles, 3:34:24, 8:11 min/mile.Target 1: 3:30:59, 8:00 min/mile (2012 BQ), missed by a few minutes.
Target 2: PR, big PR (14 minutes off previous PR)
Great weather, started with pal Dave. Good course and aid with a medium hill at mile 23.
What went well: solid 17 week training schedule, hit all my key runs at pace, during the race I did a solid pace to mile 23, 7:56, I was banking time for mile 23 hill. Good fueling, not crowded. 7:55 felt good.
What was tough: some cramping around mile 20+, calves and hamstrings (dehydrated, not getting enough water at aid stations, salt tab?) Hill at mile 23 was tough, really slowed the pace down and a numbers of runners passed me. I had a good shot at 3:30 even with a slower pace, until the hill.
What was exciting, pushing after the hill trying to make up the time, running at good marathon pace, getting totally exhausted at the end, almost ready to pass on out. Ran to the finish with my great boys and their pals surrounding me. I had to lie down on the grass at the end and Celine and pals helped me come back from total exhaustion.
Overall proud of the big PR and still have the BQ challenge to shoot for, which feels very within my grasp now (a few minutes to shave off vs my 18 min I needed to shave off my previous PR).
Training was based on FIRST. Only 3 runs / week at fast paces. It definitely got me faster, but I think I need more time on my feet for the 26.2 endurance fest. Next training round will have more mileage, but slower paces. The Thompsons were great to let us stay with them!
Training logPace averages (sub 7:56 average until mile 23, last slow shuffle around the tracked added 1:00)
Splits:
Yes, the last .2 miles was really that slow, once I missed the BQ, I was mentally done, but had to cross the finish! I was taken care of by wife, pals and the great folks in the med tent who iced down my legs and after about 10 min I finally opened my eyes :)Possible next target races / projects:
Napa Valley Marathon (03/01/2011), BQer
River City Marathon (04/17/2011). BQer
Ohlone Wilderness 50K Trail Run (05/01/2011)
Circle the South Bay (50-60K?, run around the bottom portion of the SF bay, crossing on highway 84 bridge, my own little project I'm working on).
[Brian, metric century bike ride!]
Post race: Great debrief with Kary who dropped by David's house. Steak with wives at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, very yum and wonderful company. I didn't quite earn getting my meal comped by David for me hitting a BQ, but I have a nice bone-in ribeye picked out for after my next BQ race!




2 comments:
Way to go Dan - even missing the Boston mark, a new PR is always something to celebrate about!
Amazing races, everyone! You're in pretty incredibly good company - everyone looking strong...and happy! Awesome PRs and can't wait for the BQ :-)
Post a Comment