Saturday, April 07, 2012

RUTE 2012 Summary
Quick like a bunny version
Leg 1 (Jenny)
  • I remember Brian's advice and start going fast on the downhill.
  • I'm surprised that Leg 1 is already done and SO happy!  I sprint past Dave, through the water, give Dan's hand a slap and tell him to Go!
  • 6.3 miles average pace 7:51 min/mile
Leg 2 (Dan)
  •  The flat was good, hit my sub 7:00, pushing the downs and passing a few folks.
  • A woman I passed on the flats passed me climbing hard, as she passed I just stuck with her close, following her fast pace up the mountain.
  • 7.15 miles, average pace 8:09 min/mile (2010: 8:52 min/mile)
Leg 3 (David)
  • Things are okay for the first two miles up Gibraltar because I'm able to find a decent grove and have passed a couple more runners.
  • All and all not the run I wish I could have done, but I passed a total of 9 runners in the race to the top. Gibraltar I'll be back again, and next time I will kick your ass.
  • 5.4 miles, average pace 9:48 min/mile
Leg 4 (Brian)
  • After counting 17 runners, Dave hands off to me. I climb the short hill and then speed down to the firing range at 6:23 pace for the first 3 miles.
  •  After averaging 9:30 on the 500' climb (brain demanding full stop), paced at 6:44 for the last four miles to 154. Beat 2010 time by 2 minutes.
Leg 5 (Jenny)
  • I manage 7:10 on the downhill...will definitely shave off some time next year!
  • Suddenly, though, after a nice water break from Brian, I find myself at the handoff to Jim, who is so ready to run, after waiting all morning for us! 
  • Distance:  4.5 (I think?) Pace:  9:54 - saved by the downhill in the beginning!
Leg 6 (Jim)
  • I take the hand-off from Jenny near the gun club and sprint up the last bit of paved road.
  • Once we hit the flat part at the top I start sprinting and miss catching her by about 10 feet as I hand-off to Dan.
Leg 7 (Dan)
  • We saw Jim's blue shirt, I got ready and he came blazing into the handoff, sending me on my merry way down, down, down.
  • I hit it hard w/ some sub 6:00 and then almost 7:00 when it flattened out then back towards 6:00 again as the hill started rolling down again.
  • 6 miles, average pace 6:09 min/mile (2010: 6:34 min/mile) 
Leg 8 (Brian)
  • I was heading off down Refugio. I had watched two runners leave about five minutes ahead and hoped to catch one or both.
  • As I rounded the final bend and could see the hand off, I gave one last push to the finish. Dave was off and I was F-I-N-I-S-H-E-D!
  • Pace for both legs averaged 7:09 over 15 miles. One minute faster than 2010.
Leg 9 (David)
  • By the time I turn onto the last 2.5 mile section of the leg I was completely wasted
  • My leg ends with a runner I caught just finishing several yards ahead of me. That's okay, because I'm done. Yessss, done.
  • 6.5 miles, average pace 7:30 min/mile.
Leg 10 (Jim)
  • I’m off and chasing two teams (Free to play and Play for free).
  •  Loved being able to run in the last leg.  I grabbed a beer and a slice of pizza and decided then and there I would never speak to Brian again.
  • 3.65 miles, average pace 8:30 min/mile 
Results
  • 8:54:00 finish! (previous team PR: 9:06:00) 

No comments: